Monday, December 3, 2007

...whew! I have lots to cover!

I have been out of commission the last few weeks and I don't even have a very good excuse why. Anyhoo, lots to talk about so let's get to it!


The writer's strike = a big poop sammich! The new television season seems to start later and later every year and it annoys me to no end when I have some time off, turn on the DVR only to see a repeat. For those of you who don't know, basically the writer's guild wants to re-structure their deal. With everything going techno these days the writer's want to ensure that with all shows being available for purchase and download and DVD sales remaining pretty high they want to get a bigger piece of the pie. Really who can blame them. All I know is LOST finally got good again last season and if I have to wait another year to see what happens to crazy John Locke and the apparently drug addicted Dr. Jack I'm going to be peesed off.

Now let's get to the really important stuff...SPORTS! Lots of good, well maybe not good, but at least interesting things happening. You know, like the already embattled BCS system taking a huge hit with the craziness that this college football season has produced. Now we have LSU leap frogging over 3 other teams to take a spot in the championship game in January. Yes, I am one of those people who preaches to anyone who will listen the need for a play off system. I also am one of those people that believes greedy corporate American will probably keep it from happening.

I'm sure everyone has their own personal favorite upset from this season but nothing was sweeter for me than watching Pitt beat WVU in the Backyard Brawl. This is the college rivalry I grew up even though it really doesn't compare to most rivalries here in the South. That is what happens when rivalries go completely one-sided for quite awhile. The refs did their damndest to keep the folks in charge of the BCS from combusting by calling two horrific penalties on Oderick Turner which could have been game killers for Pitt. To tell you the truth I was thinking they would be but Pat White wasn't any better in the 4th quarter than he was in the 1st sans injury. Kudos the the 'stache and LeSean McCoy and the rest of the Panthers for putting up a big win against huge odds (29-point underdogs) on national television. Just a few months shy of signing day...



Now on to the NFL or at least to the NFL team that counts....and nooooooo, I'm not referring to Satan and his pack of devils otherwise known as the Patriots. I meant the Steelers. Okay, stop laughing. I'll be the first to admit, at times I think our record makes us appear to be a better team than maybe we are, at least on paper. Decent showing last night but what is with the fumbling Willie? Truth be told I am not the biggest Willie fan. Or maybe I should say I am still not completely sold on him just yet. Yeah I know, he the second leading rusher in the league and he's "Fast Willie" and all that. He sure seems like a nice enough guy too but he's not exactly the best at finding the hole or the end zone. He is never going to pound out tough yardage and if I continue to find myself holding my breath whenever the ball is pitched his way I can only imagine what the more, shall we say "less sensitive" Steelers fans are going to start saying. No one turns faster on their own like Steelers fans.

Overall, it was a big win and an important one. Especially since we walk into the Hell Hole known as Foxborough next weekend. Remember 21 and done two years ago? Well, 12 and done might not be as catchy but it sure would be nice.

1 comment:

Neutrogina said...

When I went to Pitt we had a saying..."Penn State sucks and West Virginia swallows."