Monday, January 7, 2008

Black Monday: Part Deux



STEELERS - 29

JAGOFFS - 31


Well, that just sucked. I'm glad the Steelers came back from an 18-point deficit to make a game of it, particularly after a very poor first half of football. Ben took the blame, but honestly two of the int's were just great plays by Jagoff DB Rashean Mathis. Now I'm not saying Ben wasn't a factor in the loss but I would still take him over any of the other QB's that came out of the 2004 Draft. And most certainly over David Garrard who, despite being a winning quarterback out of Wild Card weekend, is still more of a game manager than an elite QB. It's important to win something first unless, of course, you live in Peter King's world. Although that guy flip flops more than a presidential candidate.

I would dissect the game for you but too much beer and a refusal to read or watch anything sports related since Saturday has left me rather uneducated on the stats. However, I saw enough on Saturday and all season long to call our play calling a bit suspect at times. 3rd and 6 and run a QB keeper....for reals???

While the season is over there is much to be determined. Faneca's status as a free agent, how all these injuries are going to heal in the off season and what the hell they plan to to with the o-line issues.

Also, I was called out by an anonymous poster for my lecture given to Steelers fans about their lack of enthusiasm. Being that I don't live in the 'burgh these days I have to rely on the local Pittsburgh news outlets and those I know that still live there. I stand by the fact that I felt there was not the same level of excitement entering the playoffs as we have had in years past. But Steelers Nation showed up at Heinz Field on Saturday night and the place was electric from what I saw and from what I heard from those that were there. My apologies for doubting you all....


P.S. A little foreshadowing on my part by calling Saturday's post: "Saturday Night's alright for fighting" although I wasn't the one throwing punches. I won't get into it but let's say this....Jags fans are the worst winners in the league. To the guy who told me that Ben probably holds the record for INT's in the playoffs....I'm not sure that he does....but this I KNOW; I can guarantee the Jagoffs are the first playoff team to have THREE blackouts in a season. Now there's something to be noted for in the record books. A%#holes.

To cap off a perfectly shitty weekend in Pittsburgh the Panthers dropped their first Big East game to Villanova yesterday. Another 'burgh team to feel the wrath of the injury bug. However, on a lighter note, there is a congratulations is order for the other Panthers. The Pitt women's basketball team upset 15th-ranked DePaul yesterday. The Lady Panthers scored first and never relinquished the lead winning 97-68.

More good news, the Pens shut out the Florida Panthers yesterday capping off what was terrific week for them and certainly a bright spot for Pittsburgh sports fans. Wins against Toronto, Buffalo and Florida puts their win streak at six games. Malkin also had his first career hat trick against Toronto on Thursday in a game where the Pens scored three goals in 48 seconds. Sid's excellence continues and Conklin's goal tending has been above average. It appears after a slow start this season the Pens are finally playing to their potential.


Let's see what else is going on in the world:

And the hits just keep on coming for Brit-Brit. Now Dr. Phil is involved. Apparently he was going to air a show on Britney tomorrow but the plug has been pulled after some of her family members pulled out.

"Britney, you need to get reeeeaalllll!"

Ummm, Reggie Bush is hooking it up with Kim Kardashian? Why didn't I know this? If they get married she can be Kim Bush.....ha ha ha. I can just see that is neon lights, can't you?

Time to check in old Winehouse....passed out on a couch in the airport and dressed to kill. Yep, that's our special girl!

Well, I am going to try and make it through the rest of the day unscathed by all my co-workers who were Jaguars fans for the weekend. One already said she wasn't sure if she was going to root for the Jags or one of her other teams. Seriously, these are the kind of people I deal with. Welcome to my frustration.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, it was awesome to be there on sat night. i hate to make emotional decisions and for that, maybe he shouldnt lose his job after 1 year but B.A. needs some work. Special Teams had better be a focal point in the off season. And they better be working on a wonderdrug that prevents all injuries. Also, how about Woodley's play on Sat? The rookie show's some promise.

Mrs. B said...

Alright…I’m going to mention one topic about Jaguars fans. You have to lay off a little bit. OF COURSE we’re going to be fair-weather fans. You have a city that, prior to 1995 was already divided among THREE other football teams to choose from, Miami, Tampa and because we’re so far north, Atlanta. The Steelers were founded in 1933. Not that we’ll be around, but talk to me in about 62 years when we’ve been around for 75. And let’s think about how rabid anyone above the Mason-Dixon line is about football. The South is more laid back anyway…chalk it up to being comfortable…we’d rather sit at home and get a good view rather than sit in the stands sweating our a#*es off or freezing them off because of Jacksonville’s lovely weather systems. I would be willing to guarantee that we would never have a blackout if they could make games available only on Pay-Per-View for the price of an admission or, dare I say it, make it to the Superbowl...we wouldn't even have to win...I'll await your hailstorm berating me...lol...

Anonymous said...

Wow. mrs.b spelled it out for you in plain black and white: Jacksonville does not deserve to house an NFL team. Wayne Weaver should either pick up or sell to someone who "HAS THE WEATHER THAT WOULD SUPPORT A TEAM." Last time I checked, the NFL was still a business and how many consecutive years has it been since Mr. Weaver has posted a profit on his annual budget report? Btw, just because you were torn between 3 teams prior to 1995 does not explain why you can't follow the only pro team in your backyard all year long today.

And yes, once Jacksonville no longer has a pro team, you will never have to worry about another blackout. You can watch the L.A. Jaguars all you want on the NFL Ticket from a nice air conditioned booth of your nearest SNEAKERS establishment.

Mrs. B said...

lol...rabid fans indeed...and, wow, what a complete misinterpretation, but to each his/her own I guess...

Jules said...

Not sure that what the misinterpretation is....you basically said that you would rather stay home and watch games rather than attend them. How can I stick up for that?

It's hard for people to understand why Jags fans don't want to be part of the experience which should include attending games.

Mrs. B said...

Ok, one more...the misinterpretation is that I don't think we are undeserving of a team and also, I know it's hard for die hard fans to understand, but for me (I don't know about other people), I was never introduced to any team, or football for that matter, the way you were. It's a culture for you. So, for me, growing up in Jacksonville without a team most of my life, I don't run out and buy tickets...I mean, I do attend some games, but I like watching them on t.v. too with better angles...but that's just me...